Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bummed.....

Some of you may have read my post last week on FB about Lily going to kindergarten and my hopes for her to get an all day placement. I was excited last week when her IEP invitation came home last week and a teacher who I have heard lots of compliments about was on there as an attendee. I assumed that meant it would be her teacher and was excited since I have heard great things and being new here, I don't know anything about any of the teachers. Well, that excitement quickly turned to disappointment when I found out that teacher was strictly a half day teacher.

After talking to many of my T21 online friends I realized they could not just place Lily in half day unless of course the full day went to a lottery. Well, I called Lily's preschool teacher Friday morning and found out that no it had not been decided who her teacher would be at that point. The one teacher was to be there as a body from the K and she was the one picked. So, I explained to Lily's prek teacher that I had put in for Lily to get a full day of K with all of my reasons behind it. She at first seemed a little surprised, but after hearing me said well I will definitely let Principal C know and I think you have valid reasons.

Well, today I checked my Saturday mail and found out that the full day went to a lottery and Lily was not chosen. I am so bummed out! I know it would have benefited her so very much having music therapy, art, gym and all the extra fun stuff she won't get to do on just the half day... Although I am sure it is all legit, part of me will wonder now if Lily and all her friends end up in Ms. P's class. Seeing as they hire a special ed teacher who works in the classroom and I know they have only mentioned one - it makes me wonder if they will all be stuck in the same classroom. And then I will have to wonder what kind of lottery put them all together. Just me probably being a bummed out paranoid mom. But, I just was so hoping she would get the full day.

Oh, the joys of parenting and wanting the best for our children. I am starting to feel like offering both half and full days at one school with a lottery determining it is not the fairest way to go. Maybe it would be fair if they put all of the kids both half and full day in the lottery. Just me thinking.... Oh well, such is life! I haven't won the lottery yet, what makes this any different!

No comments:

Post a Comment